There’s an important change in your service: Pricing, Terms and Offers. Your Marketing team launches email campaign to all your existing customers. But your customers don’t receive the timely communications. Perhaps the emails land in Junk folder. Now you have some unhappy customers.
Maybe you are a marketer with responsibility for digital campaigns, especially email campaigns to new or existing customers, and just launched a new demand generation campaign. The click rates are unusually low, and you are wondering what happened.
According to Return Path’s 2018 Deliverability Benchmark Report, 15-17% of emails are getting delivered to “Junk” folder even though recipients are looking for it, thanks to the great powers of anti-spam technologies. The % of emails delivered to junk can be as high as 90%.
We had the same problem: Many of our customer communications were landing in their junk folder. Many of our customers run Office 365. According to Fiind’s analysis, Office 365 has a leading market share of 39%. Below graphic shows a view of the market share of email vendors and source of the new Office 365 customers.
Why is this important? Office 365 has inbuilt Anti-Spam measures which can prevent genuine emails delivered.
The Office 365 Anti-Spam algorithms look at parameters such as Domain Reputation (DR), Bulk Confidence Level (BCL) and Spam Confidence Level (SCL) to classify an email as Junk.
What are the factors affecting domain reputation?
Various factors affecting domain reputation are hard bounce rates, spam complaints, content that is likely to be classified as spam by email providers and ISP. These factors can lead to lower reputation score resulting in emails going to junk folder.
The chance that an email lands in Junk is based on DR, BCL and SCL.
- High Junk Probability: Low DR + High BCL + High SCL
- Medium Junk Probability: Medium DR + Low BCL + Low SCL
- Low Junk Probability: High DR + Low BCL + Low SCL
How to improve Domain reputation?
Improving “Domain reputation” is a long-term process and will tend to improve over time based on the best practices that your company follow in the email campaigns. However, you could fix BCL and SCL scores by following some simple practices:
- Dedicated IP Address: If you’re using any of the email platforms like SendGrid or Intercom or Mailchimp, checkout the sender’s IP address. Upgrade your plan to include a “dedicated IP address” which can have significant impact on deliverability.
- Focus on content that adds value to the user. Don’t include any spam content which can directly impact your SCL score. How to identify which is spam content? You could get some help in free online references like Hubspot, Mail tester and IsNotSpam.
- Don’t flood the recipient’s inbox with multiple bulk emails in a day. This can directly impact your BCL score.
- Identify the right prospects with the right messages. If you are a Microsoft partner, check out Fiind AI at https://mspartners.fiind.ai to discover the right prospects that may have need for your solutions.
- Examine other factors that could have an impact on email deliverability such as lack of sender authentication (DKIM/SPF, DMARC records), lack of unsubscribe links, delisting your domain and so on.
By following the above practices, we can increase the probability of reaching your customers or prospects’ inbox and hence stay connected with your customers and prospects.